Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I made a mistake. I bought a dog.


to commemorate our loved pets, im sharing some amazing tunes by Alex Day/

@thatalexday 




Puppies Under Warranty. Is this a good deal?

Two puppies dead in just 2 weeks. I cannot believe I have experienced this. Dog persons, beware of Arangque.
Dogs are long known to be great companions; they are loyal and almost always ready to play. Having them, as pets would, as some may say lessen one’s stress.But, unfortunately in my case it turned upside down. Recently, I have decided to have a puppy. I was told of a place that sells dogs in a ridiculously cheap price and apparently I was tempted and gone there myself. The market is found underground (which makes it already suspicious) , the place smells like dead animals and manure;very tight and narrow with vendors everywhere asking what I was looking for. Desperation to make a sale, maybe?      Arangque, as I was told, used to be bigger. I don’t know why it has been reduced to just one packed building. Though with the strong pungent smell and the sticky feel of the crowd, I was thrilled when I saw the cute puppies. This is the only place I saw several puppies, 5-7 of them caged in a medium sized crate. They looked oh so cute. I could not even pick one, it is so hard to choose one from these cute dogs. The dogs were of mixed breeds. There where chowspitz, chowretriever, pomspitz,st. Bernard…the list is endless. They have dogs everywhere. Scanning through those dogs, my eyes were caught by a black mixed sharpie labrador, she was so calm and cute. Then the vendor approached me and told me that this puppy is buy-one-take-one. Oh my God, did i hear it right? I was so surprised and shocked. She even got her sister(the puppy) out from another cage that looked exactly like her and says that she would sell the puppies to me for only P2000($40  more or less)  That made me hesitate and suspicious. I said that I would continue to look at other dogs. Asking the vendors, what breed these dogs are, I wonder are they really telling the truth? Those dogs don’t even resemble the breed they say they are. Eventually, from my long search, I fell in love with a brown pomspitz whose eyes were silvery gray. The vendor sold the puppy to me for P1.5k( $30) and I was still able to haggle for P1.2k. She told me that the puppy is already de-wormed, and she vaccinated it herself; the dog is also under warranty (seriously?); I must not give her a bath yet and after a month or two I should go get the puppy ready for anti-rabies shot. The puppy eats Beefpro and adviced me that if it wont eat; I should give it dextrose powder





















(Is that some sort of steroids? Just now, I have known that dextrose powder is actually beneficial for the health of puppies) with its drinking water and with that, I am off for home. We have a new puppy in the house. And named him Bono.

Bono, you will be missed


Everybody loved him. And during his first stay with us, he seemed so healthy and happy. But, he did not last long with us. On his 5th day, suddenly he became sick and tired. Everyone was too busy with their own work that we cannot take her to the vet, we even thought that it was only temporary and he would get better the next day. Sadly, we were wrong, the next morning when I was from an important appointment. I was told by my sister that witness the last moments of Bono, he had a cardiac arrest, she heard him cry she said she wanted to help Bono but It was too late and she did not know what to do. I was so depressed with his death as with everyone in the house. I called the vendor from Aranque and told her about Bono”s death. And since the puppy is under warranty; she told me that I could come back to her shop and choose another puppy but I should just add a few more bucks because after all, she was making a living out of selling these dogs. I came back afterwards and got a chowspitz and paid only 500 pesos ($10). Thinking I may have a healthy puppy to bring back to our home. I was again disappointed, again after a few days, she (we named her Oprah and unfortunately, we never had a photo of her taken) became weak and even pooped blood, the vet told me that she had so much worms in her body and she even had the canine virus that was incurable. The disease she had was undoubtedly from the pet shop I got her.The vet only injected her with vitamins, which is actually preferred because it would only take 6 hours for it to be in the system of the dogs than 12 hrs when taken orally. I took Oprah home and gave her most of my attention, I tried to feed her and give her medicine just to boost her energy, but then later, she would just spit it all out. Not for long, she also died. I never contacted the vendor again and will never come back to that shop. I learned that I had really been selfish, I was not ready to have a pet but I still pursued on getting one just so because they were cheap and cute. Dogs are very special and they should be treated with love.


My idol, Cesar Millan



Watching the famous dog whisper on tv, Cesar Millan

@cesarmillan

 is incredible. He made things very simple that I thought I can easily do that with any dog. What real dog lovers know is how to connect and communicate with their pets and it takes real dedication and love to their dogs.

And that is what I obviously don’t have. I also learned and want to advice people to avoid buying dogs because when we do, we are only encouraging these sellers to sell more, or worse, they'd force dogs to force breed and that damages the health of the dogs.

just wanted to share my experience but not all dogs or animals sold in Aranque are sick. I think i wasn't just fortunate enough to get or pick a healthy pup or maybe I was really altogether unprepared to have a pet :( hopefully, this could caution people to check the health of their would-be pets first.

Choosing a healthy puppy is the major factor that i have overlooked.(being cute does not mean healthy). here's a link to help you examine your pup. http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/choosing-healthy-puppy



4 comments:

abs said...

awww... thats so sad... :(

Anonymous said...

What, my old dog came from Aranque. She reached a whopping 15 y/o :( Spitz-retriever :)

karolsee said...

What, my old dog came from Aranque. She reached a whopping 15 y/o :( Spitz-retriever :)

ayet said...

Good for you! :) i might have generalized it too much. just wanted to share my experience but not all dogs or animals sold in Aranque are sick. I think i wasn't just fortunate enough to get or pick a healthy pup or maybe I was really altogether unprepared to have a pet :( hopefully, this could caution people to check the health of their would-be pets first.