Saturday, June 23, 2012

Hidden Body Fats: Thin people can be unhealthy too

Just recently we had a Health and Wellness Fair at our company wherein I got to know my vital signs, bmi, and body fat.

Just for background sake, I have a small thin frame. I do eat lots of food mainly fried and sweets. I do not do any regular exercise, but i walk a lot.

The results of my "tests" are as follows:
BMI = 20.3 = NORMAL
Blood pressure = 100/70 = OKAY since i did not get enough sleep last night
Body fat = 28.9% = WARNING!!

They used a handy device to check how much fat my body contains. This device released an electric wave that circulates around the body, the more time it took for it to circulate back to the machine equates to the percentage of the fat my body contains.

Apparently even though my BMI and my physical look seems fit, I do have a lot of body fat in my body. This made me curious as to where these body fats might be, I saw from an article online that there are HIDDEN body fats stored within or between organs. This really sounds scary. I feel like my body might have some of this.

So a friendly reminder to all, looks can be deceiving. Proper diet and exercise is crucial to maintain a strong healthy body. Health is from within. So let's start today! Please pray that I keep consistent to the exercise routine that I have planned for this coming week. Laziness be gone!!

Cheers and good luck to you!

3 comments:

Nurse Tina said...

Indeed, it's very alarming to have fats hidden within your body, most especially if you don't look like someone to have one. There are people who actually have the "so called" visceral fats. These are the ones that cover vital internal organs, such as the liver. And fatty liver is not something to celebrate for.

However, so long as you stick to a properly balanced diet and active lifestyle, you're unlikely to experience the detrimental effects of fats or bad cholesterol. Anyway, your BMI, which is a vital indicator for obesity and predisposition to Diabetes Mellitus, falls within the normal range of measurement.

You inspired me to look into this matter once again. I hope I can make an easy-to-read yet thorough discussion on this topic for the benefit of my clients and/or readers.

Nurse Tina said...

Indeed, it's very alarming to have fats hidden within your body, most especially if you don't look like someone to have one. There are people who actually have the "so called" visceral fats. These are the ones that cover vital internal organs, such as the liver. And fatty liver is not something to celebrate for.

However, so long as you stick to a properly balanced diet and active lifestyle, you're unlikely to experience the detrimental effects of fats or bad cholesterol. Anyway, your BMI, which is a vital indicator for obesity and predisposition to Diabetes Mellitus, falls within the normal range of measurement.

You inspired me to look into this matter once again. I hope I can make an easy-to-read yet thorough discussion on this topic for the benefit of my clients and/or readers.

Jeatte Go said...

Hi tina! Thanks for dropping a note.

Yes, those visceral fats are what makes me worry. :( Am starting to exercise now. Hopefully it works.

Looking forward to read that discussion of yours. Have a great day!